Skip to content

Evapo-Rust To Clean Up Light Tool Rust

August 9, 2011

I have talked in a few forum posts about this before and I thought I would snap a quick video to show how I use Evapo-Rust. As you can see, it is typically not necessary to submerge a rusted item in the Evapo-Rust – it is powerful enough to just wipe it on light surface rust. I hope you find this useful.

Advertisements

Changing Station Day 6

June 20, 2011

I have not completed much else. But at least all four side panels are glued up. The widest board I had for the sides was about 9″ after being cleaned up. Also because I do not have a lot of lumber, I decided that I would attempt to “balance” the glue up out and conserve wood by putting a 2.5″ strip on each side of the center board. I think I have pretty decent color match on two of the four panels so I guess one side will have to go against the wall!

20110619-110352.jpg

20110619-110405.jpg

Art Frame Update

June 18, 2011

I just wanted to give a quick update about the frame I made awhile back. Originally the thought was that my father-in-law would paint something for this frame but long story short, my wonderful wife decided to make something for it instead.

The painting she made was taken from a picture I snapped on the Pacific coast just north of San Francisco a couple of Novembers ago. Here is a Google Map link to where the photo was taken.

20110617-115751.jpg

Class Act

June 10, 2011

While roaming the market place at last year’s Woodworking in America, I strolled past Dale Barnard’s booth. He had several pieces of furniture on display including a step stool that, if i remember correctly, had just recently been published in Popular Woodworking. But what really caught my eye was an amazing bow arm morris chair. Even before I started woodworking I have wanted a morris chair. To me, the design of the morris chair cannot be beat. Simple and beefy the morris chair’s looks tell it like it is: I’m built to last.

20110610-113810.jpg

Now a year later I find myself really wanting to take a full on woodworking class to get a serious dose of experience by someone who knows what they are doing. It just so happens that Dale offers a 6 day class on building the chair that is on my bucket list. Needless to say I am excited. The only down side to this tale is that I just missed the summer morris chair class. That means I have to find a way to make it all the way to November without going mad…

Please do yourself a favor and check out Dale’s site. He makes some great looking Greene and Greene furniture! Maybe one of you will get sucked in while you are there and I will be seeing you in November!

Changing Station Day 5

June 5, 2011

Not much to report today. I chopped 3 mortises and cut 6 tenons to finish up the joinery for the second frame of the baby changing table. I am getting better at chopping the mortises – it seemed to take much less time than normal. I still need to work on sawing the tenons. They fit into the mortises right off the saw but for some reason the reference faces do not always line up. I guess this will get better with practice eh?

20110605-120659.jpg

In case you forgot what the design looks like, here it is:

20110605-120746.jpg

Faceplate Complete

June 1, 2011

I should have had this finished this weekend, but the shellac developed a bit of blush. So I had to sand it a bit, wipe it with alcohol and let it set up again. All and all I butchered the shellac. 😦 But rather than scraping it off and starting over, I was able to just sand the surface and apply a coat of wax and all the problems disappeared!

I made this faceplate because for some reason the thermostat was installed over a double switch box. The new thermostat that I purchased did not cover the opening completely. I am pretty happy with the result.

20110601-124328.jpg

20110601-124341.jpg

Changing Station Day 4

May 29, 2011

Today I worked on several things, but finished nothing. Go figure! I have been working on a back plate to cover the massive hole in the wall behind our thermostat. I chamfered the edges, drilled the needed holes, did a final smoothing with a card scraper, then added an initial two coats of blonde shellac. I should have this finished up late tomorrow I hope.

20110528-110603.jpg

While I had the shellac out, I made a few test pieces for the baby changing table with a couple of off cuts. I had planned on using garnet shellac, but because I am planning on putting an inlay I may just use blonde.

Finally I was able to get all of the mortise and tenons for one of the two baby table frames chopped and fit. It is interesting working by hand using all relative dimensioning. For the frame boards I only flattened one reference face and one reference edge. The widths for every board are currently oversized – along with most of the lengths. However even in this very rough state, the joinery is complete. But wow it looks like Hell. 😉

Once I finished that up, I ran the boards for the second frame through the jointer, marked out all of the joinery, and chopped the mortises for one half of the second frame before calling it a day.

20110528-110851.jpg

%d bloggers like this: