Skip to content

Frame Day 7

February 20, 2011

Today I finished up the last bit of sanding and made a fuming tent for the frame out of a garbage bag. I put the frame inside the bag on painter’s pyramids and then put a couple pieces of a cardboard box that I had cut down on the sides to keep the bag up off of the frame. I then put a little bit of ammonia in plastic disposable cups that I had cut short inside the bag then sealed it up with box tape.

While the frame was soaking I applied some shellac to the test fumed pieces I made the day before. I noticed that for some reason the ray flecks of the oak on the piece that had fumed for 24 hrs had darkened considerably. I do not know if this was a result of “over soaking” the wood, or if there is a chemical in the ammonia that I purchased from the cleaning supply section of the store that caused this. Although this was not the exact look I was hoping for, it did not look bad so I choose to proceed but to instead open the tent after just 10 hrs.

The frame looks nice and ugly right now but hopefully it will perk up after I start applying shellac tomorrow! You can see how much it turned compared to the fresh pieces in the center. Also notice how little the sap wood changed.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: